Plan B

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Thinking of Others

Today, my new friend starts her A/C chemo.

I met her in a cancer chat room, which substitutes for a support group. The chat room interface is driven by LiveWorld and is really mediocre. I don't even try to use the room with my Macintosh. It is java-based so ten seconds of text hit the room at the same time, and you have to scramble to read everything that is thrown into the room quickly, because you can't scroll back up. The set up of the room allows people to use a different sign in name every time they come into the room. It is controlled chaos, but somehow I felt a kindred spirit coming from one screen name.

I haven't joined a support group for several reasons. By nature I am not a joiner, but in this case I can see that there could be some benefits. Also, the meeting times are really inconvenient: Tuesday 2-4 pm. And finally, it is an anyone-can-join group and the chances that there won't be at least several members who drive me nuts seems really small. So I have been using the internet to connect with women who are traveling this same road.

And so my new friend, who found her lump only days before I did, is starting her chemo today. She is energetic, engaged with life and taking care of her two-year old daughter in ways that are admirable. She is full of love and, for lack of a better word, spunk. Yea, I know you don't know her, but I don't care. Today, please send positive vibes in the direction of Seattle, so that she has more strength to meet this day with dignity and resolve.

5 Comments:

  • Thank you for this tribute to our friend who meets every challenge with a gallant spirit...and spunk.

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 8:08 PM  

  • Sending positive thoughts and strength to your friend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 PM  

  • I have tears in my eyes as I read this. Thank you for your touching tribute - I am deeply touched. I have, indeed, found a kindred spirit in you and I am grateful. I am sending you love and healing vibes!

    By Blogger Kristina, at 11:19 PM  

  • Okay, Susan, we have to figure out a way to meet. Hmmm I am going to start scheming...should you come here (where I have a guest room with a queen bed and private bath) so you could meet Gretchen, too? Or should we meet in the middle (Colorado is nice)? Or should I drag my family to Boston to experience the northeast...hmmm, all attractive prospects. It's not time yet, we're too entrenched in treatment, but I am thinking about it. :-)

    By Blogger Kristina, at 1:50 PM  

  • Oh yeah! Keep scheming, Kristina!

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home