Plan B

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Garden

When we purchased this house, almost 2 years ago, one of the attractions for me was the garden. The previous owner was Irish, and had created an English-type garden maximizing the space available. Since we live in town, lot sizes are pretty small. But we don't need a big yard. We simply want an outside space that is peaceful so that we can enjoy the very short summer season.

This year we planted tomatoes and herbs in containers and as you can see, they are progressing very nicely. We have planted four types of tomatoes hoping that they don't all ripen on the same day. I have a wonderful green tomato relish recipe because in New England, there are always green tomatoes at the first frost.

It is a rare evening that Leslie and I are not sitting in the garden in the evening light enjoying a cup of coffee. Occasionally, we sit out there after dinner with a glass of wine. It is like taking a small vacation every day. I always feel refreshed.


Tomatoes, basil, sage, rosemary, thyme looking towards the West.



And then looking East.



A wide angle to include the vegetable and flower garden.

1 Comments:

  • What a lovely yard! Yours is more fully planted than ours - we have more grass because Tessa needs room to run, jump, and tumble - but yours looks like something I might imagine for ours in a few years. We have a large raised bed full of hostas and ferns on one side (under the shad of a large dogwood tree) and more full-sun flowers and rosemary on the other. I'm still learning how to keep plants alive, where to place them, and what to do to make them thrive, but in the three years we've been homeowners I've learned a lot.

    I will think of you in the evening, as you and Leslie delight in your coffee. I live in the coffee capital (Seattle is home to all kinds of coffee craziness, including the Starbucks headquarters) so perhaps I shall have to send you some. Do you like full bean or ground? Mild or dark flavors? Regular or decaf? Let me know! :-)

    Kristina

    By Blogger Kristina, at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home