Plan B

Monday, July 25, 2005

Generosity & Selfishness

Today I had to write a thank you note.

It turns out that this very nice friend, who sent me two lovely gifts to assist me in recovery, has been having her own medical dilemmas and I hadn't noticed. I hadn't noticed at all because for the past five weeks I have been pretty darn self absorbed.

That is hard to stomach. It isn't how I like to view myself, and I am embarrassed. Oh, I could use the excuse that she has moved to another state, or, we aren't 'phone' friends instead conversing by IM and email, but those are just excuses.

Are there other things that I have let slip off the radar?

2 Comments:

  • What I think... Cancer plays that self-absorbed trick on you. But it can also make you more aware, maybe not right away, but given time. You and our friend Kristina and a couple of friends from high school have given me experiences to think about.

    I think all I'm trying to say is that I hope you will be easy on yourself and write the note and think about your friend. Better late than never.

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 12:14 AM  

  • Speaking as said friend, there's no reason for you to have known. I didn't tell anyone. People who knew only knew because they read it on my blog, which is not usually about my medical stuff. So give yourself a break...after all, I didn't know about your problems until you were post-surgery! And while I felt guilty about it, I also understood...our own lives do tend to get in the way of keeping up with others' lives.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home