Plan B

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Radiation Mapping

Yesterday was my radiation consultation and mapping. My Mother came down from the far North to take notes and be supportive. We were led to an examination room, and Dr. Huang joined us. Dr. Huang is a resident, and to be honest, I now realize that I didn't really like him.

He began by reviewing my medical history. "So you found a lump in early May in your left breast," he said with surety. Oh my! "No," I exclaimed. "In early May, my milk duct began to burn, and so I intensified my self examinations. I found a lump in my RIGHT breast on May 26th."

The rest of the notes were also full of errors. We then moved onto the physical exam, and he just plain hurt me. "You are very rough," I told him. "You should take lessons from Nurse Jenn. She is thorough and very gentle." He didn't care for being chastised, but that is part of being a resident. You are still learning.

My real doctor, Dr. MaryAnn then entered, and she was as wonderful as always. She is vibrant, she listens and answers without being condescending, she is bright, and has wonderful people skills. There is a reason that she is head of the radiation department of the hospital.

After Dr. MaryAnn's examination, which was much more gentle than Dr. Huang's, she has recommended some physical therapy to increase the stretch of my right arm. She called it a "little fibrosis." From this exam room, we moved across the hall to the simulation room.

The simulation room has a CT scanner as its major feature. Otherwise, it is just another white room with an aging acoustic tile ceiling. Don, the technician, set up a board on the CT table for me, and explained that my head should rest in the donut-shaped indentation at the far end. Once on the table, he placed my arms into the four stirrups so that they were above me head. A wedge was placed under my knees, and I was told at least once to stop crossing my ankles.

Don then turned on three laser lights, one above and one on either side. These lasers marked where to set up my 'anatomical' middle which meant jostling my body around a bit. After I was centered, Don started to mark the spots with a red sharpie. Then he began taping; placing them at critical spots. Then we began the scan which only lasted about 5 minutes. I laid on the table for about 45 minutes while the doctors did the mapping.

When the doctors finished their work the new coordinates were entered into the computer and the lasers began to move. Once the lasers had settled down, the sharpies reappeared and I was marked more. The final step was five tattoos, and the mapping was done.

On November 10th I have an appointment for films. Radiation begins on November 14th. I will have 25 sessions with an additional 8 boosts. Will be done by the end of the year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home