Plan B

Monday, October 24, 2005

One Day at a Time

First the good news: no fever this round. Well, it only lasted for 20 minutes, and I only made it to 99.1, so we are past that. But, darn am I tired!

Today I decided to start researching how long women who have had my protocol experience fatigue, and it appears that most women find that it takes at least a month to move on. It is concerning that some women feel that they never regain their energy fully, but it is hard to know if their lower energy levels as are due to residual chemo side-effects or the long-term drugs that most of us end up taking. I guess only time will tell.

I have been cautioned by a new BC friend to be careful not to start my radiation before I have some reserves built up. As much as I want to have the radiation portion of my treatment done before Christmas, I am paying attention to this advise more and more. Of course, I am not sure that I will really have any say in the scheduling. Dr. MaryAnn may just give me a date and time without any discussion.

The genetics counselor called today and scheduled my appointment. Evidently she has spoken with Dr. Roger and Nurse Jenn about me, and "Your case isn't urgent" was the report. I think this is good news. If I am not urgent, then maybe I am not looking at additional surgery? Needless to say, I am not projecting; one day at a time here, but my appointment isn't until December, and that is okay with me for right now.

2 Comments:

  • I'm getting around to the idea that other BC patients are very often a better source of information than the medical folks. We're all different, after all. I do think the advice to regain your strength before you go on to radiation is good. The daily round is taxing all by itself, never mind the effects of radiation on the body. (This advice worth at least what you paid for it...:-)

    Love & more energy to you,
    gr

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 11:02 AM  

  • I certainly agree with Gretchen that other BC patients/survivors are a very good source of information. I was told by my radiation oncologist that usually if the chemo treatment is biweekly, then radiation starts two weeks later; if it's weekly, then radiation starts a week later. Since that would have put my start date at Dec. 21st, though, my rad. onc. is "letting" me start on Jan. 2 so that I can enjoy the holidays. There is no research that she's aware of that says that taking a short break will in any way influence the final results of the treatment... I hope this helps!
    K

    By Blogger Kristina, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home