Plan B

Monday, September 19, 2005

Wild & Crazy

Last week, I did something irresponsible, bordering on wild and crazy. I don't generally do anything that is wild, much less crazy, but my life has changed and I am not really happy about that.

As parents we have dreamed of having a young and confident daughter who was ready to leave home. This is the ultimate goal after all... to help your offspring find their way to a healthy adulthood. Leslie and I have succeeded, and so has Lauren. She is off at college and for the next four years that is her job. She is to glean all the knowledge she can from this experience, both in and out of the classroom.

And in our spare moments, Leslie and I enjoyed dreaming about what this time might be like. We could eat 'mixed' foods [don't ask,] eat dinner, or not, we could on a whim go out on a school night, or crawl into bed early. I dreamed of using Leslie's Spring Break in March to travel to France to visit my cousins and meet all the new babies. This was supposed to be my new normal this year. And then on June 13th, the goals for this year changed dramatically. Instead of thinking about quiet dinners, I was thinking about chemo. Instead of dreaming of travels, I was thinking about rads. Instead of imagining a life without Lauren as the guiding force, I was headed to a life directed by doctors and protocols.

And then the rumors of Delta's bankruptcy began and I just got angry. Not only was I not going to France, but I was going to lose ALL those frequent flier miles I have been saving and building for the past four years. This just wasn't fair!!!

So last Tuesday, I started playing the what-if game on the Delta website and it wasn't fun. I could get us to Europe, but not back. There wasn't a SaverSeat to be had the entire month of March. After trying for over an hour, I dialed the phone.

My call was answered by Elandro, and he was gracious and helpful. I explained that I had been unable to find even one seat home during the entire month of March and hoped that he might be able to assist me. I admit, I further explained that I would be three months post-chemo and taking this trip with my husband was important to me.

Elandro asked me about my diet, how I was keeping such a positive attitude, murmured words like important and then got to work. He reviewed what I had been doing online, and remarked "you are leaving from Boston? Wouldn't you prefer a direct flight?" Of course, I responded, but I couldn't find that option. 'Ah,' he said. 'Let me see what I can do.' 'And what days did you wish to travel?' 'Would you mind holding?' 'Do you mind flying on Air France?' 'Could you hold? You are so patient.....'"Our partners at Air France have direct, non-stop flights." "Are you sure these are the dates you want? Ah yes Ms. Susan, you have plenty of miles for this trip."

Working with Elandro was everything that the web site wasn't. Elandro came back on to the line "All I need is the name of the passengers and we will have this all done." I sat in my office with my fingers crossed, chanting, "it could work, it could work." And then he said the magic words, I have two seats booked direct to Paris, leaving on March 1 and returning on March 22. The electronic ticket is on its way. Can I do anything else for you?"And it was done. I have two tickets [for the minimum of 100,000 frequent flier miles] to Paris for the the month of March on Air France, which is not declaring bankruptcy!

Leslie and I are going to France!!!!!! I have no idea how we will pay for it, or what we will do when we get there, or or or ..... But here is my carrot. As they inject bright red chemo into my veins, I will think of Anne and Henri and all the new grandchildren. As I lie on that radiation table, I will dream of olive oil and wine. During my ultrasounds and shots, I will dream of bread and cheese. And when it feels too hard to work, I will think of the museums and ruins.

2 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh, what a fabulous plan! Definitely something to look forward to. I'm so happy you and Leslie are going to go for it. Too often we postpone stuff like this until it's more "convenient". The timing is never perfect so go! Drink wine, eat lots of yummy cheese and live a great dream.

    SusanL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:49 PM  

  • I think that this is the most sane thing that you could have done. It's not crazy in the slightest! It will inspire you, remind you of many of the good things in the world (good cheese being among them...LOL), and be out there as Life After Cancer. I approve wholeheartedly!

    And hello to my friends Susan and Kerrie - it's fun to run into you here! :-)

    By Blogger Kristina, at 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home