Plan B

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Random Musings

Yesterday I actually went to a client office and did some work. It was a follow up visit, and as is often the case with this particular client, I built a tool that is absolutely to spec, but it isn't actually what they need! So I get a few more billable hours out of this, though it does mean I need to go over there this weekend to install. That part of it is a little tedious, I admit.

This same client has paid big bucks to a network/systems guy. He always seems to be hanging around eliminating spyware, tweaking operating systems and fiddling with their internet connection. Yesterday I stopped by Staples, and there he was. Buying his technology needs at Staples. Now that is a little lame. [This is the same guy that billed them for testing a backup system that when we needed it was writing to a defective DVD burner. Nope, there was no backup.]

I will say this about Mr. Network. He built them a really nice, fast server that has been flawless. Poor Mr. Network didn't recognize me. Sometimes I forget about the Pixie Cut.

Margaret's radioactivity is fully underway, and I now understand what is going on a little better. The pill that she took is radioactive iodine, and it is the treatment for her hyperthyroidism. This is not a test. The choice she had included either surgery or take this pill. She did what any sensible person would do, in my opinion. What I don't understand is what happens next. Unfolding thyroid sagas!

For the past few days I have felt great during the day, and then starting around 5 pm, things go downhill. I get a tightness in my stomach which just feels wrong. It isn't exactly nausea though, and as you can tell, I don't even know how to describe it. Last night, the pain woke me up. Or maybe it was the nightmare. Or maybe I had a nightmare because I was in pain. Either way, at 2:15 I was wide awake and in pain. A small drink and half an hour later, I was no better off so I took some of my drugs. Aspirin for the stomach pain [that may be similar to jumbo shrimp] and an Ativan for nausea and insomnia. Within 10 minutes, I was sound asleep and awoke this morning feeling fully refreshed. Research today indicates that I may be having heartburn. It is a common chemo side effect, but since I have never had heartburn, I have no idea what that feels like. I will talk with Nurse Jenn and get her opinion.

For the rest of the day I am preparing foods for the next chemo round. Small protein, healthy snacks that I can quickly reheat are clearly required. Yet, finding these snacks in two or three hour intervals is getting tyrannical. One idea I have had is making quiche in muffin tins, so I have bought all the major ingredients [ham, spinach, cheese] so I can make different variations. At Trader Joe's I found mini-Spanikopitas. I think some homemade meatballs might be good as well.

And it is time to call Kim for the final haircut. My hair is loosening somewhat, but not yet falling out in clumps. I am worried that if I wait until after the next chemo treatment, I won't feel well enough to get to the salon which is quite a distance away, and I will have to live through a phase of hair that is repulsive to me. A new friend has sent me about 20 hats and scarves which arrived yesterday. This woman has taste! And her taste is my taste. What a relief to have so many attractive choices. Thank you so much Barb!

Tomorrow is all about building these files for the aforementioned client, and making another major push on some other files that are close to install-ready. Productivity is good right now since I know what is coming.

3 Comments:

  • I had to laugh at the "heartburn" thing. Why does everyone assume you know what heartburn feels like? For years, doctors asked me as if I had heartburn and I always said no because I figured it would feel like a burning sensation in the middle of my chest.

    Actually, I had really bad heartburn--in fact, I had a hiatal hernia. Thing is, the "heartburn" felt like a tightness and acidic taste in the back of my throat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 PM  

  • Just stopped by to see how you were doing. My mother-in-law just had extensive surgery to remove cancer in her mouth (never smoked) and she will have chemo and radiation next. Your blog is helping me to understand what she will experience. Take Care! RB

    By Blogger Lisa, at 9:17 AM  

  • I have to laugh at the "to spec but not what they need" -- isn't that just life?

    Sorry for the nighttime pain, and glad that at least part of you can experience better living through chemistry!

    Lovely mini-snack ideas!
    Love,
    gr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home