Plan B

Monday, September 12, 2005

Day 6: Astonishing

As I am now about halfway through day 6, post-chemo, I am astonished that I feel as well as I do. A little update. Last night I reduced the amount of Ativan I used to get to sleep. Made sense since my decadron quantity has been dipping over the past two days per my prescription. At 5:30, I woke [for the third time, this drinking 3 quarts of water a day has a decided side effect] and was totally and completely awake. I needed a snack, right now.

Once up, I wrote some emails, pondered the order of the world, and by 7:30 I was able to crawl back into bed and get another hour of sleep. There is no question that I am still 'speeding' on the steroids, but I am able to keep more control over the directions of my thoughts, which is encouraging. Now, I haven't actually minded the steroids per se; they have given me ammunition against lots of other stuff. However, I do need to reread everything I write, and reconsider every thought, 'cause sometimes stuff just doesn't make sense!

Leslie has just reluctantly left for his two-day away teaching days in New Hampshire. He doesn't like leaving me right now, and I suspect is a little disappointed that summer is over. With my dx in June, there hasn't been much fun in this summer, and now with tomatoes everywhere, suddenly it is over.

Last night I finally was able to reach my sister in LA, and have a really long and wonderful talk. I suspect that I talked way more than I listened, but she is a good sister and tolerates me well. Next week she gets radioactive, and listening to her list of do's and don'ts is astonishing. She must stay 6 feet away from adults, farther away from children and pregnant women. Her cats aren't supposed to sleep with her. [Hardly likely!] As my friend Laura and I have said on more than one occasion lately, this would be totally fascinating stuff if they weren't doing it to us!

I am starting to ponder and plan a trip to the West Coast. Seems impractical to be planning any type of trip as we run through our savings, pay for college, and have limited income, but it seems important to me right now. So it is! I am having a bit of difficulty justifying a trip all the way to the Pacific ocean without including a stop in LA to see Margaret. Just have to see how my frequent flier miles add up as I look into this more closely.

I would slip this trip in between chemo, Thanksgiving and radiation. Once they start the rads, I am stationary for over 6 weeks.

Friends nearby who like tomatoes, we had to harvest over 20 of these delicious fruits today, so please come by and get a couple to enjoy. I still have basil to go with them! Just give a call before arriving, just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home