Plan B

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Pixie Cut

Kim, my wonderful hairdresser, just became a mother 8 weeks ago. She has a beautiful and healthy baby boy. I start using Kim to cut my hair way back in 1995. She was not only very young but exuberant. I watch her grow from a party-girl, to a new bride and now a mother. When she opened her own shop, I was her first haircut.

At first I liked her mostly because she didn't have to chat while cutting. And then we began sharing recipes and when my daughter started to use her, her adoration of my daughter brought us closer.

This morning, I arrived at 9:30. I insisted on talking about the new baby and oohing and aaahing over pictures before we moved onto me. We tied the hair into elastics and cut. The back is very short with more length on top. Kim wouldn't let me pay for her hour of time, and as I left every woman in the shop gave me a hug. How amazing is that in the town known for coldness?

Both Leslie and Lauren think the haircut is cute. I think I look about 12 now, like an overgrown pixie, but Kim did a fabulous job. She made what could have been a traumatic experience, a shared experience among friends, new and old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home