Plan B

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Acts of Kindness

Yesterday was a full demonstration of the highs and lows. During the day, my good friend Sandi called to see how I was doing. And then she offered to bring dinner to the house on Friday, on the night of my surgery.

Later, I had a total meltdown dealing with a doctor, and ended up firing off an email to my primary which included the phrase, I kid you not, "I am not a happy camper." The issue at hand on the face of it seems small, but I felt so totally out of control. Let's face it, I have lost control of most of my life at this point, so it didn't seem too much to ask to have a pain prescription BEFORE the surgery as opposed to having it handed to me at discharge.

Who makes these rules? Okay.. you have surgery, they give you care instructions while you are still drugged and then send you out into the world where you have to find a pharmacy, wait for them to fill out the prescription, pay for it, a mere hours after having been drugged and cut. This makes no sense to me. So, I lost my balance for a few moments.

As I was making dinner, the doorbell rang. It was the UPS guy with a package from Shelburne, VT. Now, I know what is in Shelburne. Vermont Teddy Bears! I finished making dinner, and opened the package at the dining room table. It wasn't a teddy bear, it was a PajamaGram!

Inside the box was a decorative hat box. Inside the hat box were lovely, soft, lavender pajamas, a Do Not Disturb Sign for my doorknob, a lavender sachet and matching slippers. This has to be among the most sweet gifts I have ever received. Thank you Mary and Jeremy for thinking of me.

The hills of illness, all in one day. The best thing is that the good parts of the day are what I remembered when I woke up this morning. I am grateful to my friends for their acts of kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home