Plan B

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Pre-Op Testing

In the past few weeks, I have been asked more times that I can count by medical professionals: "Is that normal?" What they really mean to ask, it turns out, "Is this normal for you?" My response is always the same. "I don't know." I have never been sick before." And what follows is a response look of total bafflement.

But I have not been sick, so I don't know whether I have good veins, or how my blood counts compare now to some other then.

Just in case someone runs across this blog who has been recently dx'ed and knows as little as I do, here is how my pre-op testing went.

Upon arrival at the testing center, I was banded after the front desk person confirmed that the band printed had my personal information. I was then asked to fill out about 6 pages of forms which included medical history, doctor names and phone numbers, a release form and a promise to pay. After handing the forms back into the desk, they called my name. I handed my husband my bag and followed her back. As we approached the double doors, she asked if Leslie wanted to come with me. He did, so we were both led to an examination room by nurse practitioner Jane.

Jane's job was to ask lots of questions, most of which I had just answered on the medical form. Her first question was not on the form. She asked me to describe the surgery I was prepping for in my own words. Since I passed that question she moved onto asking me about my living situation. Who did I live with? And then she gazed at me and asked "Is anyone in the home hurting you."

[end aside]

After the nurse practitioner was finished she left the room, and sent in the nurse who took my blood pressure [7 times!!!!], and then pulled out four large vials for blood collection. I must have winced because the nurse asked "You don't like needles?" I wanted to retort "who likes needles?" but instead I responded "I hate needles, but will simply look the other way." This didn't make our nurse happy. She turned to me and said "Should we lie you down now? Are you going to faint on me?" She asked in a total flat line voice. I thought it was hysterical, but I don't generally laugh at people with big needles in their hand so I only said, "I will be fine."

She found a vein in my right arm at the elbow and took all the blood she needed. Unlike previous blood takings in my life, this was nearly painless. She was very good at this.

I then had an EKG. I have never had one of these and I felt like an extra in a Spiderman movie. The electrodes have sticky stuff on one side and the connector on the other. Each electrode was about 3" in diameter. She placed one on each leg just above the ankle, one around each of my collar bones, and then five around my left breast. A brick [about 2x3x3] with tendricles was placed on my stomach, and each of the protruding wires was connected to an electrode. She turned on the base station and something happened. However, though it felt odd to have this octopus of wires on my body, I felt nothing from the test itself.

This was followed by a visit from the anesthesiologist. More medical questions and then a description of the procedure he will use. I will be sedated, so in medical terms I will not be asleep, but should not remember anything. He will start with a versed drip and then add propofol. The breast will then receive a local and we are off to the races.

Finally, I had a chest x-ray. Again, never had one. I was asked to stand facing a 3 foot by 3 foot gridded panel with my arms just so. Inhale, exhale, inhale and hold. And then she took the picture. I was then asked to stand facing 90 degrees from the panel, and another shot was taken.

Took about 1.5 hrs from start to finish. And it was easy!

1 Comments:

  • Susan, I wish you the very best tomorrow and during your convalescence. And while I'm commenting I just want to say that you are a very good writer -- and I don't dish that compliment out lightly. I have been profoundly moved by what you've chosen to share (and how you've expressed it). Take care! A bunch of FileMaker developers are beaming warm thoughts at you right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home