Plan B

Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Family Weekend

I have just returned from a weekend in Maine where we gathered with my husband's first and second cousins to celebrate Charlie and Ericka's wedding. We don't generally travel for a two-night get-a-way, so this was a special occasion.

Unfortunately, if it wasn't misting, it was raining, and then it would return to mist. The temperatures were unseasonably cold. In fact, we took our sweaters and were glad that we did. But, the point of the trip was to reconnect with family. Even though we are on the periphery of their family, they welcome us with open arms.

Ericka was very disappointed that the wedding needed to be held inside, but by some miracle, the sun appeared during the after-wedding photography session, so she will have lovely pictures of the day with the ocean in the background.

I loved seeing this branch of the family once again. But, I also love to return home. The tomato plants are getting bigger and the leaves are starting to expand, the basil is producing young leaves, and the thyme is spreading at will make a great ground cover. We are even getting tomato flowers, so there might be fruit!


For dinner Leslie rotisseried a chicken over cherry wood [debris from a winter storm.] We accompanied the chicken with the first corn of the season and locally grown peas. Lauren was inspired by some local strawberries to make a strawberry tart that rivaled anything we have eaten in Paris. The perfect end to a wonderful weekend.

1 Comments:

  • Your meal is inspiring - you sound like a family of chefs! If I lived closer I'd have to finangle an invitation. ;-) I also love to cook but these days it's been rather limited - between a toddler and cancer (not sure which one takes more time!) my gourmet moments are fewer and further between.

    I'm glad that you're savoring the moments of summer. Freshly sliced tomatoes with basil (and maybe mozzarella, olive oil, and cracked pepper) is the smell of summer, as far as food goes. My tomato plants have fruit, but it's still green, and I'm impatient to take those first sweet bites! If you have a secret to growing basil (without bugs...mine always gets munched on by critters) I'd love to hear it, by the way.

    See? We are more than cancer. We can be foodies, too!

    By Blogger Kristina, at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home