Plan B

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Results are In!

Dr. Maryjane called tonight at 6pm. She has the pathology report. [Yes, it is mostly good news!!!!]

Before diving into the pathology report, we discussed my recovery which gave me an opportunity to ask about an unexpected pain I started experiencing today. It is within the breast and feels like a medium pinch behind the nipple, not the incision site. Dr. Maryjane says that though this type of pain is not common, it is normal. This sensation is the nerve endings trying to reconnect and grow back. She warns that I will probably experience sharp, burning acute pain.

Then we dove into the pathology report as I grabbed a pen. At this point, I don't have my own copy, just the notes from my conversation.

Tumor Removal: around most of the tumor, Dr. Maryjane got very good margins. In one small area, she got good margins, but she believes that Dr. Mary Ann [radiologist oncologist] will find them to be sufficient.

Tumor Type: Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma
Tumor Size: at its largest point, 2.2 cm
Well differentiated tumor, grade 1

Nodes: 4 nodes were removed, all negative!!!!
precancerous cells were found in the breast and removed with the tumor

Lymph vessels: possibility of a few cells within the lymph vessels
Estrogen positive
her2 Negative

Blood Work:
liver normal
CEA CE8; slightly elevated but of nominal concern
CA 27.29 [breast cancer marker] elevated. [Dr. Maryjane will test this on August 4th. If still elevated they will do CAT and Bone Scans. However, she is not overly concerned since I had a tumor.] [Added: CA = Cancer Antigen]

What does all of this mean? It means that I will need no additional surgery!!! It also means that this damn cancer was on the move and we got it before its march made it to the lymph system.

This is darn good news, and I might just celebrate with an adult beverage! YeeHAW!

4 Comments:

  • Fabulous news, Susan! Keep getting better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 AM  

  • Oh, Susan, this is INCREDIBLE, great news. I am so glad to hear it!

    By Blogger Kristina, at 12:18 AM  

  • Woo hoo! The kind of news you like to hear, and like even better to get. Great, great, great, great.

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 10:54 AM  

  • Yay! What fabulous news. Keep up the good walk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home