Plan B

Saturday, May 22, 2010

ERCP

Yesterday was the big day. The day my gallbladder would be taken care of. NOT!

How many ways did this all go wrong? Right from the beginning the trajectory was off. Dr. S ordered a procedure. I was able to almost change this by insisting on a diagnostic test first. But then I never heard back from that doctor. He claims to have left a message and written me a letter, but I didn't receive either. Undoubtedly, he sent them to a different patient. So I was accused of lying and he did a HIPAA violation.

It wasn't until I was on the gurney, with an IV in my arm, that I learned that in essence, the chance of correcting the gallbladder problem was almost nil, and the risk to my future health was huge. As the young Dr. B explained what was going to happen, what became clear was I shouldn't even be there. I had the wrong doctor, was in the wrong room, and I was on a train that was going to the wrong city.

As it happens, there were no complications. They didn't damage my pancreas, they didn't nick my esophagus, and no damage was done. I was sent home, drugged and angry.

But this is time and energy I don't have to waste. I have taken a full week off from work. Now, I have to find the time to do this again for a surgeon.

I will never let this happen again. I will never again loose control of my health care and be bullied by doctors into taking a path that doesn't feel right to me. At least this lesson didn't come tied to pancreatitis or internal bleeding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home