Plan B

Monday, November 14, 2005

One Down

My first radiation is behind me.

Last night I hardly slept due to an incessant cough, and perhaps a little anxiety. I finally gave up on sleeping at 6:30. At 9:20, I headed out, stopping at the shopping plaza and walked around the adjacent park three times. I need to get back up to two miles a day, since all of the research shows that walking just this small amount each day reduces the fatigue effect of radiation.

Upon arrival at the radiation oncology unit, I let the staff know that I had a cold when I checked in. Instead of wearing a mask, Nurse Nancy had me wait in an examination away from the other patients.

My 'team of techs' came to get me early, and we were off to the races. I got up on the bench/table, they pulled the sheet underneath me to reposition my anatomical middle, lined up my tattoos, and the first radiation began. The machine is LOUD, and the noise was situated directly by my left ear. [My left ear has been damaged from orchestra playing, so it actually ached a little.] My team returned to line up the other tattoo side, the machine whirred into position, and screamed again as the radiation dose was administered. No sharpies were used in the administration of my radiation! The total time for both the positioning and radiation administration was less than 10 minutes.

My team tells me that I may wear ear plugs and that I can bring my own 'mix' tape. The 70's light rock just isn't going to cut it for the next 32 sessions.

2 Comments:

  • Hello again Sue! I have commented before, and I really admire your strength.
    I know you have probably stated this already and I have missed it, but what instrument to you play? I piddle a bit at violin, and have played only in a college orchestra (WKU). You mentioned that your left ear had some damage, and I was trying to imagine where you would be sitting . . . My guess would be 1st or second VLN?
    Take care and God bless!

    By Blogger Susanne Hughes, at 9:49 AM  

  • LOL. I was 9 months pregnant, and was in a concert 5 days before I delivered. I play 2nd (back row 2nd, usually, but it is a labor of love I promise!) and twice during the performance the percussion exploded. I thought my kid was going to jump out of my womb, she startled so badly! It has been 3 years since that last concert, and my the college conductor said I could play in the holiday pops concert for fun. I am about 22 weeks pregnant now, and we have about a month of rehersals left. I am more excited for the baby than for me, I think. It benefitted my older child so much . . . Thanks for sharing your strength with all of us. We are rooting for you!!!!!!

    By Blogger Susanne Hughes, at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home