Plan B

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Seattle

I have been online for a long time. As an AOL-host, I hosted thousands of chats making some very nice online friends. But in all this time, I have only chosen to meet one online person in real life, and he was local. Otherwise, it has never occurred to me to fly across the country meeting random folks that I have met online, so I know that my trip to Seattle is simply out of character [or totally nuts, depending on who is doing the evaluating.]

And, I am so glad I made the trip! The trip restored my spirit in so many ways. It is hard to describe how important these two women have been to me over the past three months. One of the greatest strengths of this friendship that we have developed is how differently we approach both our diagnosis' and treatment. These differences have given each of us viewpoints that we might not have found on our own. It is like holding a prism to the sunlight; brilliance can come from every direction.

I arrived late Saturday night and Kristina was waiting for me even though Saturday is her 'bad' day. She and her husband welcomed me into their home warmly. Their lovely home has a mother-in-law suite in the basement which gave me, and them, some privacy. Awoke Sunday morning to the pitter patter of young feet, and it was time to meet Tessa! Tessa is a smart and energetic young girl of 2 and 3/4's, and she quickly presented me with "Make Way for Ducklings" for a reading session. She knew that this book had been a gift from me, and lost no time making sure that this knowledge was put to good use.


Susan and Tessa enjoy Make Way for Ducklings together.


Gretchen arrived for our scheduled breakfast and we all enjoyed Eggs Benedict, fresh fruit and cranberry nut bread. All five of us walked to the Farmer's Market, did a car tour of West Seattle before making dinner. Though the weather was supposed to be miserable, the sun was shining and we could see the snow covered mountains over the sound. It was totally beautiful.

Susan, Gretchen and Kristina enjoy each other's company.

Sunday night two of Kristina's close friends joined us for dessert and wine. Susan and Michelle have posted on this blog, and I already felt as though I knew them. It was fun to have a girl's night. I admit this isn't something I do often in my life, but it was so enjoyable. Not only did I enjoy the conversation, it was wonderful getting to know the people who are so important to Kristina.

Monday I spent with my friend Leonid. Leonid and I were stand partners years ago in the Virginia Beach Pops. He has since moved to Seattle as a member of the Symphony there. I accompanied him to a rehearsal in the small recital hall within the new Symphony Hall, and then we headed to lunch. Lunch was fabulous. This month there are 25 restaurants in Seattle which offer a fixed price, 3 course lunch for $12.50. I started with a delicious chanterelle mushroom soup, then a rockfish with mashed turnips, and finished with a tiny little amaretto cake.

Tuesday we met Gretchen at Pike Market for lunch. Kristina chose a French cafe that was the perfect spot. I ordered the house special, a fabulous cassoulet that was really large enough for about three people, but we didn't leave any in the pot! Gretchen chose a quiche while Kristina ordered a lamb sausage sandwich with a fresh green salad. I was able to convince my friends to help with the cassoulet, but I ate way too much. However, it was worth every biteful.

Gretchen had to head back to work, so Kristina and I headed to Lincoln Park and did a 2 mile walk along the sound. As we walked the sun set over the sound. We don't see that much in Boston. Later that evening Leonid's wife picked me up for a late supper at their house. The last time I saw Tanya she spoke about 12 words of English. Now she is fully fluent and it turns out that she has a lovely sense of humor, is intelligent, and loves her life in Seattle.

And then on Wednesday is was time to come home. It was a wonderful visit, and I am so glad that I made it.

[Please note: photos are stolen from Kristina's blog. Mine didn't come out. Darn I need a new flash!]

2 Comments:

  • I enjoyed every minute of your visit, and you were the perfect guest. :-) THANK YOU for taking the time, effort, and money to come out to visit us...I'm so glad you did. Now I need to plot a way to get to Boston...hmmm!

    By Blogger Kristina, at 11:06 AM  

  • Note that I enjoyed Make Way for Ducklings as much as Tessa did!

    So glad we could all get together in person, for real, in the same place and on the same couch, even! I look at the photos now and say, Yep, that's my friend there. Doesn't she look great?

    Love & longing for Boston,
    gr

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home