Plan B

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Hair Surprises

As a young girl, my mother cut my hair. Well, to be more accurate, she hacked at my hair. As I approached 10, this became a bit of a marathon, as I ran through the house trying to get away from this woman with scissors. To this day, I have no idea what about longer hair my Mother hated, but childhood pictures are filled with young children with horrid haircuts. My hair was always cut to the top of a collar, straight across as though I had straight hair.

The day I moved out at age 16, I let my hair grow longer. And then at the age of 46, I have had to cut it off completely. There have been some surprises.

One, I don't mind having shorter hair though it turns out my hair grows quickly and when shorter, needs a trim at least every 3 weeks. This affects the family budget! Where once I could get a trim every 4-5 months, we are now talking 3 weeks. [My development rates might have to go up!]

When it rains, the water touches the back of your neck, and that is a totally new experience. On the one hand it tickles, and on the other, the gentleness of the water touching a long hidden area of skin is tender. And now that the top of my head is exposed, I can only imagine what snow or rain will feel like. Within the next months, I will discover this sensation as well.

The hair is falling out now. These little 1/8 inch pieces of hair are releasing themselves where ever I happen to be. Using the Kristina method, I have a cat lint brush, the kind with heavy duty tape, and I am rolling it across my head. This should save our plumbing from a hair emergency, and it is a rather nice massage at the same time.

The temperatures are also dipping here as we are definitely headed into Fall, and my head gets cold. Hats are needed early in the morning, and then again at night. It takes some getting used to, having a hat band going across the forehead, and so far, it isn't comfortable.

As I had hoped, by controlling how I have lost my hair I have reduced the trauma to nothing. This is just something else that is happening to me. It means that the drugs are working; nothing more, nothing less.

1 Comments:

  • Using the loss of your hair to discover things like the feel of rain on the back of your neck... Sweetness in the depths of the desert.

    Love & more to come,
    gr

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home