Plan B

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Chemo Round 2

Today's infusion was a little harder on my body than round 1. But let me go back to the beginning.

We arrived at the hospital at 9:00 am and went through the drill. Check in, vital signs, blood and then a meeting with Nurse Jenn. For 20 minutes we talked about how I was feeling, side effects and how amazing my pharmacist had been. After changing into a hospital robe, Nurse Jenn gave me the most complete and gentle examination. By this time, I had taken the Emend. My blood tests were not yet ready, so I headed to the waiting room.

During this wait, Leslie slipped across the street to buy me a snack; a sour cream coffee cake.

The infusion room was hopping this morning. Nurse Judy began her process. Warming pads on either side of my arm to puff up my veins, IV injection [which was no where near as painless this time], and the saline drip. By now, Leslie had returned. The next step is the decadron drip, and oral pills. Then, we started the chemo.

It was decided to reduce the decadron this time, so at the end of the treatment, I wasn't so very high. To be honest, I preferred the high. By the time we arrived home, I was not feeling so very well. After a snack, I crawled into bed and slept.

After waking Leslie made me a grilled chicken breast and garlic mashed potatoes for dinner. I didn't find the chicken attractive, but the mashed potatoes were fabulous! Those magic garlic mashed potatoes rejunvinated both me and my stomach. I am feeling so much better, back to an 8 on the Susan-Chemo scale.

For my 11 pm snack Leslie and I headed to J. P. Licks' ice cream shop in Davis Square where I had an old fashioned ice cream soda. How delicious was this! Leslie chose a small sundae. We then walked for 45 minutes. A really wonderful way to end this day.

It is now time to take my final meds of the day, finish the end of my 3 litres of water, and crawl into bed. Thank you for all the good thoughts today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home