Plan B

Friday, September 23, 2005

All About Ernie

I keep reflecting about Ernie, the Costco pharmacist. Ernie was in fact doing his job, but he did more than that. How do you thank these people?

While talking to my sister Sarah, I told her this story and she knew exactly how to thank him. She said, "Well certainly a thank you card is nice, but we are talking about corporate America Susan. Thank you notes don't actually cut it." [She was more eloquant, but stay with me.]

She continued, "The president of Costco receives hundreds of letters every day from a**holes who complain about everything. Your letter, full of admiration and thanks for a specific employee will shine out of that pile of letters. The store manager will be comended for having kept such a valuable employee, and that valuable employee will have this glowing letter in his files which will be noticed when it is bonus time. That my sister, is how you thank him." [She did recommend not mentioning that Ernie purchased $1200 worth of drugs that might not ever be needed however.]

Brilliant, eh? So, I have now collected the name of the president of Costco, the vice president of the pharamcies, the store manager and Ernie's full name. When I no longer have decadron brain, I will write a letter that makes Ernie appear to be a saint! Because, he is one to me.

1 Comments:

  • Definitely good advice from your sister. "Thank you" tends to shine wherever it turns up, especially in writing. People light up, too.

    Go, Ernie!

    Love & thanks,
    gr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home