Plan B

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ups & Downs

Being sick really means learning to depend on others. I am relying on my friends for love and kindness. I am depending on my doctors and medical team to not only read all the tests correctly, but to determine the correct course of treatment to give me the only odd I want. I am depending on my husband to love and feed me on a two-hour schedule. I also rely on my pharmacist to give me the prescribed drugs in the correct strength and quantity.

Last night, my father indicated some interest in seeing the Emend. He once worked for Merck, and is always interested in what is new. So I pulled the package [one package contains all three pills. It is a tri-fold package] out of the Costco bag, and demonstrated how you simply unfold. As I unfolded, I gasped. The first pill was clearly missing. Upon further inspection, the other two pills were missing as well. I was now officially hysterical.

Getting the Emend from Costco had required a two-day waiting period because they simply don't keep it in stock. I was running out of time. My next chemo treatment is Wednesday morning at 9:30. The earliest I could contact Costco was going to be opening time, 10:00 AM. In case the math is hard for you, this is not two-days!

At 8 this morning I called Nurse Jenn. No, she has no samples. Yes, she would call in another prescription at an alternate pharmacy if needed.

At 10 I was at Costco. I approached Ernie, my pharmacist and told him the story. "I wanted to show my Dad, I pulled it out of the bag, this is what it looked like, I know you don't have these in stock... is there anything we can do?"

Ernie looked appalled. "I didn't check the box. I assumed the package was fine. But, I have them in stock." He then looked directly at me, "I wanted to have them here for you."

As he was reprinting the labels I asked, "May I kiss you?" Ernie replied, "I don't think my wife would appreciate that." "Tell you wife to give you an extra kiss tonight then," I suggested. Ernie smiled at me and said, "Well she just might. Today is our 40th wedding anniversary. I don't know where all those years went."

Ernie swapped my package for one with pills. Not for a moment did he question my honesty. He had ordered these expensive pills just so they would be in the store whenever I needed them. There are good people in this world, and Ernie is amongst them.

2 Comments:

  • Yes there are good people in the world...and I'm happy to hear that you found company. :-)

    Bless Ernie, and I hope his wife kissed him a lot more than twice!

    Love & kisses,
    gr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM  

  • There are still people in this world that care. I'm glad that Ernie was looking out for your well being. :-)

    Love
    Nancy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home