Plan B

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Self Portrait

After my heartwarming moment at Costco, I drove to Waltham to have my hair cut by Kim. Though I had planned to go visit Kim towards the end of the day with Leslie, her babysitter was unable to stay late, and so she snuck me into her schedule during lunchtime.

To start with, Kim insisted on washing my hair. I murmured that this was really unnecessary, but she said "this is a real hair cut." And so it was. She started with scissors which left the hair about an inch long. It was almost cute, but it wasn't short enough. We moved to the electric razor with a number three attachment, then a two, and finally at my insistence, a one. Kim had difficulty locating the one. She never uses it. Along the way we passed through a militant lesbian look, the duckling look, and finally ended up at a crew cut.

Though I had planned to have someone with me, being alone was fine. I had no 'moment' of emotion, no need to weep [though I did have Kleenex close by just in case.] This was another heartwarming moment actually, being treated with dignity and care by people that I like. Throughout the haircut we talked about Kim's four month-old son and Lauren, our two favorite topics.

I have found hats to be too hot today [we are in a tropical, humid pattern] and have pulled them off at every opportunity. I like the shape of my head just fine, as my Mother promised me I would. On the way home, I stopped at a favorite jewelry shop and bought myself some lovely earrings. I know Leslie wanted to buy these for me, so I consider them a gift from my husband.

Here are some strange self-portraits; funny lighting and a very funny angle, but it is what I can manage tonight.




4 Comments:

  • Welcome, welcome, welcome! to the pretty damn good looking head club. With big, flashy earrings, a smile and attitude that I think comes naturally, you may just find hats purely optional for aught but warmth.

    Proud of you, girl.

    Love & let it show (or not, as you choose),
    gr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 PM  

  • Ohhh you're beautiful! Look at you - stronger than ever. You don't seem to stop amazing me! Great pictures; thank you for posting.
    K

    By Blogger Kristina, at 9:30 PM  

  • You look lovely! Keep smiling!!

    By Blogger Susanne Hughes, at 12:43 PM  

  • You look great! I'm continuously amazed by you, kristina and all the wonderfully strong women out there who are fighting this disease.

    Go get 'em!

    SusanL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home