Plan B

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Tradition Continues

I love to feed people! I make huge feasts and invite friends to join me. They will all agree that I tend to go overboard, but they do return time after time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Last summer I did a Greek Feast with grilled lamb, roasted eggplant salads, tztiki [spelling?] sauce, hummus, toubouli, pita breads and greek lemonade. Oh, there might have been even more food than that. At Thanksgiving, the table can barely hold the food I make, and stomachs are pushed to their limits. I do a traditional New England dinner so it must include squashes, creamed onions, tomato relish, baked beans in addition to apple/sausage stuffing, turkey, and potatoes. Lauren is queen of the pies and makes at least three including apple and pecan. The third pie is baker's choice and she has done a peach, a blueberry and a pumpkin.

For Lauren's graduation party we kept it simple with just burgers and veggie burgers, chicken wings, and about 5 salads. Enough for 40 people!

And now it is Lauren's turn. Evidently, her co-workers at the pool and friends have been hearing Lauren wax rhapsodic about her pasta dishes. So in a burst of enthusiasm, she invited them all to dinner tomorrow night, and now she is in shock. They ALL, every single one of them, has said they are coming! Pasta for 15!

Lauren is planning a fresh tomato sauce, fresh pasta from Capone's, and lots of parmeggiano regiano cheese. Friends will bring some salads and drinks to spread the cost around a little. Clearly, Lauren will be chopping onions, tomatoes and garlic for several hours tomorrow to prepare.

So we are headed to Costco to buy tomatoes and onions. Let the chopping begin!

1 Comments:

  • Again, something we have in common - I love to entertain, and in the three (nearly four) years we've been in our house, which is suitable for small entertaining, we've had people over for many meals, including Christmas and Thanksgiving. One Christmas we had a sit-down dinner with china and crystal and the works, feeding everyone ALL the trimmings, for 17 people. It was madness and the house was NOT built for such groups, but I'm so glad I did it. These are memories to live on and feed the soul...and the friends don't complain when we feed them, either, do they?

    I don't wish to move any more than you do, but I do wish I could join one of your garden parties and feast in the delights offered. Maybe I could bring insalata caprese or bruschetta since the tomatoes are in season?

    By Blogger Kristina, at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home