Plan B

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Surgical Check Up

It is only 8:50 am, and I have already been to the hospital and back!

I was scheduled for an 8:00 am appointment with Dr. MaryJane this morning. This appointment was my surgical followup. In typical Susan style, I was 15 minutes early. In typical Dr. MaryJane style, she was 15 minutes early. So, we started early.

There was a hospital gown involved, but I didn't sit on the examination table. She simply looked at the incisions and remarked "Healing nicely!" She removed the steri-strips and we talked. She is slightly concerned about adding walking to my daily life, and cautioned against too much. "You are still a post-surgical patient," she warned. She became less concerned when I told her it was indoor and air-conditioned walking but did reiterate her "don't overdo" message.

I was given exercises to do, twice a day to increase my mobility. "Start slowly" she said, "10 reps to start, and only add as your are strong enough."

We chatted about chemo [she says Dr. Roger is fabulous and will keep me feeling good, but that isn't what Dr. Roger promised], sending children off to college, and when I need to see her again. [Right after radiation is finished, and then yearly after my mammogram.] She also said it was time to start buying Vitamin E caplets, slit them open, and put the Vitamin E on the breast and under the arm. She further explained that I will have a 'healing ridge' on the underside of my breast that will soften with time.

And that was it. She left, I dressed and headed to the waiting room. Just as Leslie and I were leaving the waiting room, she called us back. She had forgotten to ask about the blood tests. And, since we were both headed to the 9th floor, we chatted in the elevator about blood levels, and how she isn't very concerned but is glad that the CAT scan has been added to the protocol. Outside of the examination room, Dr. Maryjane is very lively and engaging, and much less business-like.

Since we finished so early, we headed straight home. Leslie and I both have haircuts at 11:30 and had planned a morning set of outings, but with this much time remaining, we both decided that home was the best place to be.

1 Comments:

  • I'm so glad that it went well. My docs have told me about the vitamin E, too - a good reminder to me to do that today! SEnding you love and good wishes.

    By Blogger Kristina, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home