Plan B

Monday, August 01, 2005

Dr. Roger Says....

There was no new information at this meeting about my cancer. All the data points are the same, since this is the first time I have been back to the hospital since my surgery.

More blood was drawn though, to re-run the CA 29.27 marker test. The assumption is that this time the number will be lower. If this assumption turns out to be correct, here is the drill.

Dr. Roger will reverse the treatments so that chemo will be first, followed by radiation. From what I can gather, and I could easily be wrong, the fact that my tumor was over 2 cm without node involvement and it was Grade 1, means that they want to do the systemic treatment first. The lack of node involvement is great news, and the team is pleasantly surprised. Once again, I don't fit into a neat box.

Dr. Roger is breaking the standard chemo protocol as well. He has chosen a protocol of 4 infusions,
dose dense Adriamycin and Cytoxan. He is eliminating the Taxol which normally follows since he doesn't feel that the potential side effects, which include neuropathy, are worth the 1% survival stat gain. The day after each chemo infusion, I will need to return to the hospital for a Neulasta shot to encourage my white blood cells to reproduce, and further hydration if there has been vomiting.

To prepare for the chemo treatment, I will have both a
Bone Scan and a MUGA test. The Bone Scan will give us a baseline [which will be needed for later treatments] and would find any mets [again that darn marker.] The MUGA test will confirm that my heart is strong enough to withstand the treatment.

My first chemo infusion will be September 7, 8 or 9th. This gives us time to get all the test results back, include additional tests should my markers still be elevated, and allow me to take Lauren to college on the 4th.

Taking Lauren to college is right at the top of the priority list!

Once the chemo treatments are done, I will begin the radiation sessions after a two week rest. For longer term treatment, Dr. Roger has selected
aromatase-inhibitors which studies have shown to hold great promise for women like me.

Today we also met Nurse Jenn. She is another very bright woman, and she will actually be my primary contact person during all of this. She wrote all the prescriptions that I walked home with, including lots of anti-nausea drugs and a wig. She gave us a tour of the infusion room [bright, very white, 20 chairs with curtains] which I appreciated. I like having a visual in my head. She further explained that on chemo day, the hospital will send up a lunch and provide fruit, cookies and other goodies. There is a kitchen available for patients if they prefer to bring their own foods or drinks.

I can't tell you how nice and pleasant everyone on the ninth floor was to me, but I really DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE!!!!! Pushing the number 9 in the elevator was another step towards understanding that I have a life-threatening illness. And that just plain sucks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home