Plan B

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Back Home!

I did it! I played 8 hours of rehearsals and a concert, traveled the 3 hours both way, and slept in a horrid dorm cot and made it home safely!

Driving out to the concert with my friend Beth was very enjoyable. We never run out of things to chat about, and the trip went quickly. Upon arrival, it was time for lunch [make your own sandwich day] and check in with the orchestra personnel manager. Somehow he had forgotten to assign me a room, but had accidently given someone else two rooms. I was able to slip into that extra berth so that my roommate was a friend. Whoever I roomed with was going to need some explanations, so it was better that it was someone I know and like.

My fingers work fine while playing. The problems that I do have are about mobility in my upper arm, specifically opening up my armpit. I simply can't raise my right arm, opening up my body, without preparation. When you are playing a violin, there is no time for preparation, so the G string of the instrument is a challenge. Being a member of the first violin section for this concert meant that there wasn't much G string involved, and I quickly added some bad form to my playing to allow me access to the lower end of the instrument without opening up my arm. Several times, I forgot and I paid the price. Aspirin during the break between rehearsals was required.

Friday night a group went to a local inn for drinks. Since only two people knew about my dx, none of the conversation was about my 'condition.' And so we sat outside in the cool air telling stories, laughing, and enjoying each other's company.

In the middle of the first rehearsal a cold front had roared through with rain, lightning and lots of thunder bring the temperature from 97 degrees down into the low 70's. What a total blessing this was. When the storm hit Boston, Beth's dog panicked while being walked and ended up running 5 miles home, tearing up her paws. Basically, the poor dog had a total nervous breakdown. This news sobered the group on the porch. [The dog appears to be okay. Hoping for an update today.]

My roommate had tons to drink, getting louder and more boisterous. By the time we headed back to our room, she was flat out drunk. We brushed our teeth in the hall bathroom. She was faster than I was, and by the time I returned to the room, she was passed out. Changing was simple then. But then there were the beds....

This school recently purchased loft beds for these tiny little rooms. They hover over the floor, with ladders. But, during a previous week a musician had fallen off one of these ladders and so all the beds now sit on the floor. Four feet above the floor. And this was my first big challenge... How do you get yourself into a bed that high with only one arm, while wearing a nightgown that covers all your wounds? Thank goodness my roommate didn't see me trying this. It wasn't pretty at all. Imagine flailing up while pushing with the left arm. What a sight that would have been!

The only other great challenge was showering. Boys school, group showers, with no place near the actual shower to leave your towel and clothes. Showering was not optional after the heat of the previous day, and the fact that playing the violin takes some effort. I wasn't that concerned about people seeing me, I was concerned about how they would feel about seeing me. This falls under the 'too much information' category. So, I picked a very off time while most people were off eating dinner, and hung my stuff in the stall with me. It all got fairly wet, but it worked and I was clean for the concert.

It was a long drive home but L. got us there safely around 1 in the morning. She is in fact playing a gig with Leslie right now, and I suspect she will get even more thanks from him today. Leslie was relieved to have me back.

I am thankful to L. and Beth for all of their help with driving and carrying bags. I am lucky that the music wasn't more difficult so it didn't tax my bow arm. I am really happy to be home where there is a comfortable bed that I know how to get into, and really decent coffee.

3 Comments:

  • Hi, this is Beth. We had such a good weekend with Susan out in the Berkshires. I told the personnel manager that she is available next week! I want her to play the opera week with me. Susan did a great job, as always.

    Susan, thanks for asking about my doggie. All is well, as I told you on the phone. She'll just have to grow some skin on her paws and she'll be OK.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 PM  

  • Oh, the bed! Bet you hugged your pillows extra tight when you got home...

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 12:17 AM  

  • This post was particularly wonderful because it was a reminder of all that is "normal" in your life right now. You're still a musician, you still have wonderful friends, and you can still push yourself to the limits with sleep and the rest. But I'm glad you're home. :-)

    By Blogger Kristina, at 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home