Plan B

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lazy Wednesday

Today was a day to hide. I don't know why, but I just didn't want to answer phones, or respond to emails, or deal with the world at large in anyway. So instead, I sat on my comfortable chair in the office and read a book. A big, fat book which transported me to places very far away.

When I was a kid, the hallway outside my bedroom had a night light so the younger siblings could find their way to bathroom at night and so no one went tumbling down the stairs. I would lie in bed and wait until my parents went to bed, hear them rustling, brushing teeth, and then when the house was absolutely silent, I would creep out of my bed, pulling the current book from underneath my pillow and sit at the top of the stairs using that night light as a book light.

The last year of elementary school, I was given a special pass to go to the middle school library, since I had read just about every book in the elementary school library. In High School, my English teachers had to create alternative reading lists because I had read all the assigned readings years before.

In a way, this return to reading is a good sign, but it is also a way of escaping reality and responsibilities.

So, my darn markers [CA 29.27] are still high, and though it isn't a large concern, I will be scheduled for a CT Scan. They are using the 'better safe than sorry' cliche. As Leslie said, "One more thing to worry about."

I am starting to wonder if I will have any veins left at the end of all of this. The bruise in my left arm, from just one blood sample, is huge and sore. What will it be like after three tests and four chemos?

1 Comments:

  • Lots to be said for escape techniques. I spent a lot of time playing a mindless computer game. Reading, of course, is a given...:-)

    By Blogger The Green Cedar, at 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home