Plan B

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Surgery Day

I didn't want to write this entry before I could remember my own name. Again we run into the issue of how much does any particular reader wish to know. So, I am creating a spin-off. If Hollywood can do it, why not me? If you really want the details, head over to http://www.anotherplanmedical.blogspot.com for that stuff. (I will write more about the procedures as I get stronger over there.)

We arrived at the ambulatory surgical waiting room at about 5:50 am. The streets of Boston are fairly empty at that time of day, deserted except for cats and birds everywhere! Occasionally, we were passed by speeding Jeeps or SUV's. We were driving slowly since crashing over potholes isn't that comfortable for me at the moment. Boston drivers aren't known for their consideration, and driving through such a quiet city was peaceful. The riverway looked green and the bamboo was swaying in the breezes.

We have come to know this route very well in the past month, and know where to park so we are close to the elevators. The waiting room was not empty when we arrived, but the receptionist was not there yet. Each group huddled together. There was no interaction.

The receptionist arrived and started shuffling paperwork. She went in and out of the doors and then shuffled more paperwork. This was like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Then she licked her fingers to shuffle the papers some more. This may not be a great habit for someone who works in a hospital. She walked around to each patient group and checked them in. Then she turned on a conservative talk show program on her radio. I had to move to the other side of the room. I needed calm more than anything else and listening to those hysterical voices wasn't going to do it for me. [Leslie says when he returned to the waiting room later, the radio was silent.]

I was called into the pre-op area early. Nurse Judy was my pre-op nurse, and once again Leslie was invited to join me. Though he can speak for himself, he appeared terrified to me. Terrified for me, might be more accurate. Nurse Judy went through much of my medical history again, reconfirming my allergies, taking blood pressure readings and my temperature. She gathered other nurses together to witness my health care proxy. She explained that I was the first and most complex surgery of the day. Later I read her notes, and they included who had brought me to the hospital and their relationship to me, and my mental state. She then explained that the anesthesiologist team would arrive around 6:55. We had about 20 minutes to wait. I was already dressed in my hospital robe and cute hospital issue slippers when Nurse Judy asked if I wanted a warm blanket. I thought she meant wool or fleece, but it was hot! They have a blanket warmer and dole out white, warm cotton blankets to all the patients. While waiting for the anesthesiologist, I fell asleep but woke almost immediately. Hospital gurneys are not comfortable.

My first anesthesiologist arrived right on time. He was a young resident, and he began chatting about where was I from, he was from California, and I allowed how his ocean was on the wrong side, and he proclaimed that it was my ocean that was misplaced. Dr. DiSilva was the perfect amount of warmth and professionalism for me. our verbal banter was distracting and playful. He carefully walked me through what he would be doing, and then he hooked me up. His attending, who mumbled his name, and who I was unable to understand arrived and checked the work. No changes were made.

By then the surgical resident, Dr Avery had arrived. Dr Avery looked about 16, but again so much warmth. He gave Leslie the pain medication prescription to fill while I was in the operating room. He asked some more questions such as had I been hospitalized since the last time I had met with Dr. Maryjane. As the doctors began to stick needles into me, Leslie slipped out. That is our deal. He stays until they start treating me.

Then Dr. Maryjane, my surgeon arrived. More questions and answers. I thanked her profusely for her phone call on Wednesday. She murmured questions to Dr. Avery, teaching him small things. I know I have said it before, but I love hearing good teachers teach. She was encouraging and thoughtful with Dr. Avery. She left, returned and then the four minute mark was given.

Dr. DiSilva smiled at me and said... let's start that cocktail. And I remember nothing else until I awoke in Recovery Room 1.

I now had Nurse Jane who had the most intense blue eyes. She was perky and cheerful and offered more warm blankets. From my bay I could see where the blankets came from. It looked like a refrigerator with a large door on the bottom and a freezer compartment on top, except the freezer was a warmer! What will they think of next?

Jane made me cough and take deep breaths saying that my breath still smelled like fruit which meant I still had too many of the drugs in my lungs. I asked for water, and finished that quickly. Dr. Maryjane stopped in and told me that she thought she had clear margins and that my lymph nodes looked good. I think I fell back to sleep since I remember asking Nurse Jane if I had heard correctly while repeating back. She laughed and said yes, but that she couldn't believe I even remembered Dr. Maryjane's visit. Now it was time to walk. I needed help and so back into the chair for me. I remember Ginger Ale, which is what my parents gave me when I was sick as a girl.

And then Dr. Maryjane returned! Four visits I received from this woman! She repeated that the operation had gone smoothly, that she believed that she had gotten clear margins, and she saw nothing of concern in the two lymph nodes that she had removed.

I was then moved to Recovery Room 2, where Leslie joined me. He was smiling. Dr. Maryjane had visited with him in the waiting room, telling him exactly what I thought I had heard. I was assigned a new nurse who wasn't particularly attentive, but I finished my ginger ale and managed another walk. And it was time to go home.

The same orderly who had helped me in the morning, helped me into a wheelchair and told Leslie to pull the car out of the garage. While moving in the wheel chair I began to feel nauseas. My orderly, whose name I didn't catch, offered to move slower. When we got to the curb, I thanked him again. He put his hand on my shoulder and thanked me for being so polite, and wished me all the best. It was so sweet. And then Leslie arrived in the car and we went home.

Leslie bought a little pillow made from two washcloths in the early 70's [I thought his godmother had made it for him.] It is a soft pillow with many memories attached. We placed that between me and the seat belt so I wouldn't be hurt.

Unfortunately, I continued to be nauseas for a while after returning home but once that was taken care of I spent the afternoon napping, drinking water and coffee [what a caffeine-deficiency headache I had!], and doling out my pain meds.

A light supper of tomato soup and crackers was all I needed to eat, before falling asleep again.


[Added: I am not sure if my intentions came through. I felt so well-cared for by just about everyone I encountered on this extremely stressful day. This is a nasty thing that is happening to me, and these professionals took care of me both physically and mentally. I am grateful.]

3 Comments:

  • Dear Susan,

    Thank you for adding the second blog. It is greatly needed. Does it make me feel anxious, faint, and feverish? You betcha! But it also accurately portrays the clinical reality of this whole experience. You depict the pain and procedures so accurately that I can feel it. That is something that is important to show in order to advance the cause of this fight.

    BTW, I'm surprised you didn't go for the jugular of the receptionist who put the talk radio show on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

  • Susan -- I agree with the previous poster about the talk show; really it comes down to the inappropriateness of *anything* political. This sounds like a passive-agressive action guaranteed to raise the anxiety level of many patients within earshot... and about what I'd expect from the kind of idiot who taps in to the conservative hate machine.

    We are beaming you positive energy from Northern California!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:49 PM  

  • you wrote:

    >BTW, I'm surprised you didn't go >for the jugular of the >receptionist who put the talk >radio show on.

    You would think that I would. I am fairly outspoken and some would say pushy, but sitting in that waiting room I felt small and vulnerable. Maintaining my inner calm was more important at that moment than confronting her on her lack of basic civility. I took control the best way I knew how by moving. Maybe they will send me a follow up and include an offer "Get $50 off your next surgery if you answer these important customer satisfaction survey questions!" :-)

    By Blogger *susan*, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home