Plan B

Friday, August 26, 2005

Wigs

Today is Wig Day.

Lauren and I are making a day of it. We will have lunch out, a rare treat, before heading to the wig spot. This shop specializes in hair for women who are sick. The original owner had Alopecia and wanted to create a safe and caring place for women to find hair replacements. The shop is now run by one of the daughters.

My friend Mary says that this shop is too expensive, and it may be. But I respect anyone who sees a hole in the market, and then fills it.

My sister, years and years ago, during her lymphoma fight, went to them. Like me, Margaret had all of her hair cut short before her treatments began, and it was really long! Then she and my Mom headed to find a wig. Back then this shop was located in Brookline, in the same building as Planned Parenthood.

Walking was already hard for Margaret since the tumors were taking over her body, and she held onto my mother for support. At age 28, she could barely walk 15 feet. As my Mom and Margaret approached the entrance of the building, they were surrounded by abortion protesters who assumed that this mother/daughter combination was headed to Planned Parenthood. Bullhorns were pointed at them and ugly words were thrown in their direction. Posters of fetus' were shoved into their faces as they tried to walk by. My mother and sister had to push their way through this mob of screaming and angry people.

Margaret remembers feeling assaulted. My Mother remembers wishing she had a bullhorn so that she could scream back at them "I would give anything for this to be about pregnancy." Since then, the hair shop has moved to a calmer location, farther away from town.


Each client has a 45 minute consultation. I have no idea how we will fill 45 minutes talking about hair, but that is the routine. Once the wig has arrived in the shop, they spend 1.5 hrs with you to teach cleaning, grooming and styling of the hairpiece. [Aside Alert! I have never spent 1.5 hours styling my real hair. I can't imagine doing this with a wig!] I am sure to do an update tonight after this meeting.

All those years ago, this shop treated my sister with dignity and that is the real reason I am returning to them. Another cycle comes full circle.

1 Comments:

  • I hope that you find the wig that you are meant to have - the one that makes you feel sexy and fun and feels natural to you. I am thinking of you today and looking forward to pictures!

    By Blogger Kristina, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home