Plan B

Friday, August 26, 2005

No Wig Yet

An odd day at the Wig Store. It began rather well.

My 'consultant' was Katherine, one of the founders of the firm. We chatted about the original building, the murder of one of the nurses at that Planned Parenthood, and my sister. She asked some questions, and I gave her answers. I didn't really think she was asking the correct questions though. So I pushed the conversation in the direction I thought it should go.

I explained my two reasons for wearing a wig: presentations to new clients and concerts. Off she went to get some examples of hair all of which had traces [or more] of grey. Before trying this set of hair, I reminded her that since neither of my 'audiences' knew what I looked like, grey was not really something I wanted. Ah, she said, this makes it easier!

Off she went again. Okay, I always looked like me, but some of the wigs did make me look like I should be living in a double wide, some of them made me look like I needed a power blue suit, and some of them were for someone who's soul is much older than mine. One of the trailer trash wigs was a fabulous color. Almost auburn perhaps? But the cut was like Reba McIntyre. Oh, this wasn't a good look.

Eventually, I narrowed it down to two wigs. One is synthetic and one is all human. And all of sudden we took a left turn.

The wigs didn't come in the auburn. Katherine started using pronouns so I had no idea what we were talking about. We were being pushed hard to make a decision. Lauren and I both got tense. Katherine's next appointment was waiting, and we ended up scheduling a second consult for Tuesday.

All along Katherine had been saying not to worry about the cost. I assumed that this meant that she would charge what my insurance would pay, but at the end, she got to the prices and they are HIGH. So, I know what wig, and now know that it does come in this color. [The shop called me later in the afternoon.]

But, I haven't actually ordered a wig, time is short, and now I have to decide if the level of service offered by this shop [which is very high] is worth the markup. Unfortunately, Lauren and I were both overwhelmed and tense when we left the shop. Lots of things to think about before I am scheduled to return on Tuesday.

1 Comments:

  • I'm late in checking your blog, but I have to say that mpmarilyn sounds like she's got the absolute right handle on this. Pulling for you, girlfriend!
    Love,
    gr

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home