Plan B

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Good Food

Over the past week, we have had a few meals that are worth relaying. I suspect that after reading this post, you will be salivating, so please don't read if all you have in your cupboard is some stale bread and a little Jiffy.

With the next tier of tomatoes just starting to ripen, we have had to turn to other foods for culinary inspiration. One such item is Bone Suckin' Mustard. We spotted this several months ago on the grocery store shelf, and bought it for that 'one-day.' That one day has come! One morning Leslie woke and proclaimed "RIBS!" Now this is a huge proclamation from a man who grew up in Georgia. It means heading to Costco to find just the right racks, hours tending a smoker, and at the end of it all, smoked ribs basted in a mustard based sauce are served at the table. Sometimes years go by between these proclamations, so this was exciting news.

In response, I made some home-made potato salad and some mint iced tea. We both spent hours preparing our portion of the meal. I threw some new potatoes into a large vat of water, and turned the heat to high. I then got to the business of making the vinaigrette and chopping/slicing the mix-ins. First I diced into tiny cubes both sweet and dill pickles and then I sliced the red onion into thin, long slivers. The vinaigrette is a simple white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper mixture, and I prepare this in a measuring cup. As the potatoes are almost fork tender, I place the raw eggs into the boiling water.

Once the potatoes are ready, I remove them with a Chinese spoon to roughly chop them into the master bowl. Once 1/3 of the taters are cut, I sprinkle and stir about 1/3 of the vinaigrette. More taters, more vinaigrette, and then the last taters are added. While this cools, I peel the eggs, and add them to the potatoes. Pickles, onions, Dijon mustard and country French mustard are all place on the potatoes, before adding just a little bit of mayonnaise. The eggs are cut into eighth's and added to the mixture. Then, I carefully fold all the ingredients so that the potatoes don't become mashed. Flavor to taste, and chill. This is wonderful stuff.

Since Lauren doesn't care for potato salad, or anything else with mayonnaise, I made her some home made French fries along with some broccoli to pretend that something was healthy!

We invited our friend Dave to come enjoy dinner with us [even though he should be working on his CD release] and he seemed to think that this was a meal worth eating! Dave has been a good friend over the past 6 months and we have promised him good food on numerous occasions. I think we delivered this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home