Plan B

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Aromasin

I am participating in a Phase III study comparing two aromatese inhibitors; Aromasin vs. Armidex. I took my first pill on December 15, 2005. Regardless of this study, my medical oncologist would have prescribed either one of these two drugs or Femara. The goal is to shut down estrogen in my body since my tumor used estrogen as food. I have already reported some of my side effects to the overseeing body, but am choosing to stay on the drug.

For those of you who ask how I am, here are side effects as listed in the protocol. I have noted the effects that I am currently experiencing with a [Y]:

Risks and Side Effects Related to EXEMESTANE [Aromasin]

Very Likely (> 20% of patients):
fatigue

Less Likely (5-20% of patients):

gastrointestinal side effects

  • abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Constipation
  • Nausea and vomiting

General Effects

  • Increased sweating
  • Hot Flashes [Y]
  • Flu-Like symptoms such as fatigue, fever, headaches [Y] or pain in the joints

High blood pressure (hypertension)

Nervous Effects

  • Depression
  • Insomnia [Y]
  • Anxiety
  • Dizziness
  • Headache [Y]

Respitory Effects

  • Loss of breath
  • coughing [Y]

Rarely (1-4% of patients):

Blood clot in leg (deep vein thrombosis)

Diarrhea

Increased appetite

Thromboembolism (blood clot in the lungs)

Other rare side effects include: bone, joint or back pain [YYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!], itching [Y], hair loss, rash swelling, runny nose, heartburn, tendency towards urinary tract infection, tendency towards upper respiratory tract infection, sore throat, sinusitis, confusion, increase of liver enzymes in the blood.

Although unlikely, unforeseeable or unexpected risk(s) may be involved. Exemestane will decrease your body's estrogen levels. The effect of this lowering of estrogen may increase your changes of osteoporosis, which may lead to fractures or increase certain blood lipids (which may increase your chances of having heart or circulation problems.)

The lowering of estrogen by an aromatase inhibitor could also affect your ability to think clearly. Research is ongoing in humans and these risks will be closely monitored.

1 Comments:

  • Have you found any tricks to help with bone/joint/back pain? I have such aches in my lower joints that I dream about it, and it's horrible. When I get out of a chair, I feel like a 100 year old woman and I can't help but wince. Is this your case, too? What have your docs told you to do? I'm nervous about starting AIs because if I add to this I'm going to be in really big trouble!
    K

    By Blogger Kristina, at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home