Plan B

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Seven Years

Seven years ago, today, Dr. Roger informed me that my PET scan indicated that I had tumors outside the breast. I was a metastatic breast cancer patient. I remember so vividly the impact of that statement. I was one of them! In fact, my worst nightmare had come true. I went from being an early stage, low grade, no node patient to everyone's worst nightmare– an early stage, low grade, no node patient who progressed!

The average life span for a woman with metastatic breast cancer from the moment that the tumors are found is 2.5 years. Today, I pass the seven year mark. This is a startling statistic. But mine were found really early. Earlier than normal, so I now have seven years... I am an outlier.

Today I reflected on the life I have had during these seven years. So much life has been lived. So much life has entered mine.

I am in the process of giving up my professional life, which has been a big part of my self-identity. Collateral damage, just like playing the violin. Cancer takes the things that you love bit by bit.

It is a choice, however. How do you want to live once you know living will be in short supply? I have decided to celebrate everything that I have been given. A life well lived. Wallowing in self-pity wouldn't give me any joy, and I believe heartily in joy!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home