Plan B

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Nurse Karen in the Rearview Mirror

The phone has been ringing off the hook this morning. I sent this message to my doctor's assistant around 8AM this morning.
= = = =
Good morning P.,

As you can see from my records, I have now had two Taxol infusions. I am rather surprised by how well I am tolerating this treatment. I will give Dr. C the details when I see her on Tuesday.

However, I do have some concerns about the infusion process and who will be administering the drugs. My primary infusion nurse is Katy but Katy doesn't work early mornings. This has placed me into what I am calling "Nurse Roulette." I have had two different nurses and this is not tenable. I can't re-educate nurse after nurse after nurse on the specifics of my body; listen to lectures about Taxol week after week; I just don't have that kind of energy.

Unfortunately, on patient gateway, I can't see a list of past appointments and the provider. I really liked the Nurse that I had for Taxol NÂș1. I never want to see Nurse Karen again.

The reason for this email is to alert the two of you that I believe I need to have a new primary infusion nurse, and I do not want that person to be Karen. I need someone who listens better, reads the previous infusion notes more deeply, and has a bit of humor. It makes sense to have someone who is regularly available for the morning hours on a Tuesday, though I do understand that schedules change. So, I am not saying I MUST always have the same nurse. Instead I want to have a nurse in my records who is apt to be available regularly.
Though I would appreciate a message back before Tuesday, I understand that time is in short supply. I will hope to talk about this on Tuesday with Dr. Herold.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Susan
= = = = 

Well, there have been many Nurse Karen complaints. She is on some kind of probation like thing. I will never have her again. The doctor has called to apologize. The nurse manager has called. I have been moved to another nurse permanently, one who is generally working early Tuesday. Katy will be my secondary since we have been together for a long time. The outcome is good. I was just able to eat an egg with melted cheese on top. Can't say I enjoyed it, but it was tolerable. Another 2 lbs gone since yesterday.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home