Plan B

Sunday, August 20, 2006

An Inspiration

Recently I met an older couple, L & F, at a family gathering. It was a larger meeting, but I noticed almost immediately that F, who I had never met before, needed extra help. He was offered a chair while the rest of us stood. Given that we are the same gathering, and the hosts were just plain rude and didn't make any introductions, I stepped right up and welcomed them.

To be honest, on first blush, they seemed nice but didn't capture my interest. Well into their 70's, I didn't see a connection. Boy was I wrong. I overheard the word 'chemo' and 'treatment', and our connection was sealed.

F is in treatment for cancer. He is being treated with a series of 12 chemo treatments. The cancer is advanced, and it had taken every bit of his energy to get halfway across the country to this event. We talked about treatment, and hair, and energy levels. Over the next three days, they adopted my family into theirs.

And now, I get emails regularly. I am F's inspiration!

Damn I hate this disease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home