Plan B

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Anniversaries

Today, one year ago, my friend Kristina found a lump. She was 35. Since then she has had four surgeries, 4 A/C, 4 taxol, 52 weeks of herceptin and a full course of rads. She has also continued to be the best Mom of four year old Tessa, loving wife of her husband, and my friend.

Tomorrow, one year ago, I was able to isolate the 'knot' to a lima bean sized lump, and made my first call to a doctor. Saying the word 'lump' out loud was the start of a journey that has changed my life.

Tomorrow, 12 years ago, my brother was killed in an automobile accident in Alaska.

Five days ago, a year ago, my sister was told that she had stage 4 ovarian cancer. It turns out that this was wrong, but it really doesn't matter. We all went through this together.

The next few weeks include more of these 'anniversaries.' No wonder I feel gloomy. I hope that the weather turns soon so that I can go into the garden and pull weeds, and start planting our herbs and tomatoes. That always makes me feel better.

1 Comments:

  • Oh, friend, this one is too hard to say "Happy anniversary," isn't it? These are not happy anniversaries. The only happy about them is that we never have to fully relive them, ever again.

    Thank you for remembering, and for acknowledging. I do not forget your hard anniversaries, either. I ache for, and with, you.

    You are a special, wonderful woman and I feel so blessed to have you in my life. Have I told you lately...?

    By Blogger Kristina, at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home